The CSSU Act 46 Study Committee was formed in response to recently passed legislation. This twelve-member committee includes representation from all CSSU member communities. The task of this committee is to explore the possibility of consolidating the current districts of Chittenden South into a single district.
On September 28, 2015, the CSSU Study Committee convened for its first meeting. The goal of this committee is to provide the CSSU community a recommendation for action by first quarter 2016.
The charge of the committee is as follows:
- In accordance with Title 16 §706b, Act 46, and Acts 153/156, study the benefits and challenges of forming a union district comprising the participating towns of the SU.
- Contract with outside person(s) to support the work of the committee within the established budget. This may include but is not limited to: process facilitation, data analysis, facilitation of committee discussions, legal counsel and community forum
- Make a determination as to whether the formation of a union district is advisable and should be taken to the voters. Should the committee recommend the decision be taken to the voters, recommend also the timing of the vote.
- Prepare a report for the State Board of Education including all elements required by Title 16 §706b and Act 46 in the formation of a union district. The report should be submitted in a timely fashion to allow for a community vote, if held, to occur prior to June 1st, 2016.
- Develop the Articles of Agreement required in Title 16 §706b
- Keep the SU Board regularly apprised of the committee’s progress. Specifically: the committee work plan (no later than 10/20/15) , community engagement plan, draft articles of agreement, summary of financial implications to individual communities, summary of committee’s decision criteria and final report and recommendation.